Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Oh, the way it was!

For the past week and a half we have had a wonderful nightly routine. I make sure all my sewing is done..the dishes are done, the little one is in bed and then my two older boys and I watch a movie. Not just any movie....but North and South. I absolutely fell in love with this series the very first time that I saw it, and I am sooo happy to say that my boys love it just as much as me!

has any of you ever watched this? If there were ever a time that I loved it was the Old South. (let me start off by saying I am totally against the slavery that went on) the dresses and the balls, but most of all the Honor! Gentlemen were bred to BE gentlemen. They had honor and dignity. They fought for what they believed in, and heaven forbid if you insulted them or their families.  Do you remember the duels fought over women's honor?


What a time. Now-a-days its hard to find many with honor. People are rude and selfish and just plain gossipy. The whole notion of a "gentleman" has gone out the window. Just yesterday I was flipped off by an OLDER  man in his car. All while I had 3 kids in mine. Nice, nice to know that respect is still out there. This is the same person who will then complain about the "younger generation not having any respect"  I miss the old days. When people went to church, when they had empathy and compassion and when most of all the men had RESPECT  for women. As a mother of 3 boys I hope to instill manners in them.



Not just the "please and thank you's" but real manners. Like..ALWAYS hold the door for a lady, NEVER disparage a women's character, ALWAYS be attentive to her needs and thoughts and ideas, work HARD and SUPPORT your family, ALWAYS be true to your word, but most of all......live with Honor and Dignity!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Christina,
I do remember that movie, but never saw it. Like you, I think it is sad that our society today doesn't practice the good manners, honor, integrity, etc. like it used to. I applaud you for wanting your little men to grow up and be gentlemen...true gentlemen. We try to do the same with our son.

Laurie said...

AMEN!!!! I agree one hundred percent! I've seen boys who have not only no respect for authority, but no respect for their mother. It disgusts me. Not their fault though, they haven't been taught otherwise. Oh for the good old days! I too love North and South! Has been on my Christmas list for a long time! Enjoy!

Sue said...

Here here! The sad thing is most people today expect 'the system' to raise their children instead of raising them themselves. And even sadder, many of the 'older generation' have no manners or respect either... sad. Plus, I have to say, many of the girls of today are worse than the boys! Their language, dress, etc. Oh, goodness, don't get me started!