Friday, July 25, 2008

Ruffles tutorial

I have always hated doing ruffles until I figured out how to do them on my sewing machine. I thought ya'll might like to know my little tip!


For this tut I used material that was 4 inches wide but you can do it with whatever size you need or the pattern calls for.
fold the material over wrong sides together and iron flat


on your sewing machine set the tension to as tight as it will go, mine will go up to #9 then set the stitch width to as high as it will go, mine is at a 4
now for the fun part......simply sew
make sure you support the material at the back of your sewing machine, do not let it just fall or it may distort some of the gathers
and ta-da! A beautiful ruffle to attach to anything! Hope you enjoy!




6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Morning!
Thanks for the tutorial! Love the fabric you are using....and what will the ruffle you made be for??? or was it simply for tutorial purposes?

Anonymous said...

Neat-I'm going to share it with Granny!

Sue said...

GREAT! I normally dread ruffles and I just finished one, but I'll try your method on my next ruffly project!

trisha too said...

thank you for the great tutorial.

i love it when people take the time to share what they know-- first, because it's nice, second, because it makes me a little bit smarter!

MegN said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the wonderful comments! Happy sewing! Meg

amylouwhosews said...

That is really cool! I don't really understand the tension settings - the only rule I know is get it where it works and then don't move it! I like this idea for ruffles though - I want to make some aprons and a ruffle trim would be darling! I'm going to have to try it.

Thanks for your comments on my blog - I really appreciate your offer for help! I will be emailing you!